Saturday, June 10, 2006

Pointy-Hair

Pretty much everyone who reads this blog also read's this one. So, you already know that as of last Monday, my hair has started to thing on top and stick up in strange pointy configurations on the sides.

Indeed, I've officially moved from the ranks of tech-junkie to pointy-haired, acronym creating, buzz-word using manager. That's how it looks on paper, but really, I think of it more like this. I think that having a very strong technical background can be valuable for a technical manager. I also think that I don't have to entirely lose that technical skill in becoming a manager. I also know I'm completely naive about what management will entail.

So, I'm thrilled to be managing our St. Louis development team. It's a good bunch of people.

4 comments:

Sarahlynn said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so proud of you. : )

Rob Monroe said...

Congratulations from this side of the world, too!

Rob Monroe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Paul, I surfed over to your site from Daughter of Opinion, so I don't know you, but wanted to let you know about a book that would be perfect for you. (I'm biased about the book; I published it!)

It's by a woman I worked with at Microsoft for years, and we saw lots of techies get promoted and then flounder in the managerial role. There are things you should do right away to get off to a good start with your new group. The book is Management Bytes, by Anne Milkovich, and you can find it on managementbytes.net and penningtonbooks.com.

Good luck in your new job!

Karin