Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Question and Answer

Here are Sarahlynn's questions for me:

1. If you could wave a wand and get rid of Ellie's Trisomy 21, would you do it?
It took me a while to figure this one out, but the answer is "yes." I had to reconcile the idea that I have absolute, unconditional love for my daughter; but I still would want her to be different if that were possible. It's a paradox, but it works.

It's kind of like this commentary I heard on NPR yesterday. It was talking about the similarity between quantum physics and the nature of love. The commentator was explaining that one part of modern physics is the statement that when you try to picture the motion of an electron around the nucleus of an atom, you have to accept that the electron is moving around the nucleus in all possible paths at the same time. That makes it impossible to predict with certainty where the electron will be at a point in time. His corollary in love is that love looks and feels like all other emotions at the same time. Love is part admiration and part frustration, part envy, part pride, part comfort, part fear, etc. Interesting.

2. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
Right now, I'd have to say my problem solving and analytical skills. But really, that's just because I had two coworkers pump up my ego today. My boss's boss told me the really smart college kid we just interviewed was someone that he wanted me to mentor and turn into another me. And then another coworker made an "I'm in awe" kind of comment as I was helping him do analysis and research to figure out how some of our code works and what the related data really means.

3. What do you miss most about where you grew up?
Mountains. Even the little dinky one behind my parent's house.

4. What's the monster under your bed?
AAAHHH!! There's a monster under my bed?? Is that like "the monster at the end of this book?" Or the monster under Opus's bed? Really, though...
- That I won't be a good enough dad or a good enough husband.
- That I'm no where close to as smart as I think I am.

5. What's the best book you've ever read?
The Mythical Man Month
You know, I'd rather name a fiction book, but this book is both very educational and enjoyable to read... So...

------
The Official Interview Game Rules


1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love the NPR bit!

Also, I don't think changing Ellie's Trisomy 21 means you do not love her exactly as she is. In fact, as parents, it is because we love our children so much that we never want their lives to be any harder than they have to be.

Lastly (and for the record), - you are a great dad and husband who happens to be very, very smart.